The Ultimate Fall Playlist

Fall is my absolute favourite time of year and it is also the best season for discovering new music. Halifax has been unseasonably warm this October, and I have had plenty of opportunities to go on long walks and listen to good tunes. Here are some of the songs I've been loving lately from my Fall playlist:

1. October Passed Me By - Girl in Red

Girl in Red's newest single is the perfect fall song to listen to while baking apple pie, carving pumpkins, or doing other cute fall things like pretending be in a rom-com 🙃. Girl in Red never fails to put me in my feels with her lyricism.







2. Evergreen - Omar Apollo

Admittedly, I discover a lot of great music on TikTok, whether it's a song that is trending or an artist promoting their new album. I discovered Evergreen as it was trending for its perfectly heartbreaking bridge: "you know you really made me hate myself / had to stop before I break myself / should've broke it off to date myself / you didn't deserve me at all, at all, at all." 

3. Burn, Burn, Burn - Zach Bryan

My roommate Ella has recently turned me into a huge Zach Bryan fan. This song is cozy and a little bit sad, the perfect recipe for a comfort song. 
"I'd like to lay in a field on a cozy blanket / And feel the fear of never wakin'"

4. Dark Red - Steve Lacey

Steve Lacey has a very unique R&B sound. I first listened to his album Gemini Rights, and discovered some great songs like "Bad Habit," "Mercury," and "Static." Recently, on a drive with a good friend I discovered this song of his which has a very cool sound. 






5. All Your'n - Tyler Childers

I won't lie, I am undoubtedly going through a country phase. I just CAN'T STOP listening to country music everywhere I go. Whilst studying, walking to class, grocery shopping or at the gym. This song is great because it isn't too country but has a warm rustic vibe to it. I feel like I should be listening to this song while staying at a cabin in the woods in mid-October. I also love Tyler Childers' raspy voice in this song.

6. Anything - Adrianne Lenker

Adrienne Lenker has such a soft melodic voice, unlike anything I've heard before (pun not intended). This is one of my favourite songs by her. Her lyrics read like poetry: "staring down the barrel of the hot sun/ shining with the sheen of a shot gun." Not only is Adrianne Lenker an amazing solo artist, she is also the lead singer in the indie rock band Big Thief.







7. Featherstone - The Paper Kites

The Paper Kites are a classic fall comfort band for me. I love them even more after seeing them in concert with my parents in Montreal.

8. The Midnights Album - Taylor Swift

Obviously, this would not be a true playlist of mine if it did not include some Taylor Swift. And this fall, Taylor has blessed us with her tenth studio album Midnights, which initially had thirteen songs (Taylor's lucky number) until 3am on October 21st when Taylor dropped seven additional songs from the vault. All this to say that I absolutely adore this album and will have it on repeat until I get my hands on tickets to see her live in concert. My current favourite songs on the album are "Question...?," "Mastermind," "Bejeweled," "Maroon" and "You're On Your Own, Kid." So yeah, pretty much all of them.


- Maya August

Comments

Popular Posts