Trying Maltese Foods

I've only been in Malta for about three weeks so I haven't had time to see everything, but I have made a significant dent in trying the local foods and delicacies. Because of its unique history and positioning in the Mediterranean, Maltese food takes influences from Italian, Spanish, French and Arab cuisine. The food is fresh and flavourful and although you can find a range of options from street food to high end restaurants, prices are generally super reasonable. 

Ftira

Ftira is the name of the traditional Maltese bread which is flat and similar to an Italian ciabatta. Usually it is eaten with fillings such as sardines, tuna, capers, olives, lemon, etc. I ordered my first ftira at Giorgio's bistro in Sliema. It was filled with tuna, capers, tomatoes, onions, butter beans, and drizzled with garlic olive oil. The bread was fresh and toasted to perfection. Giorgio's is fairly well-known and popular in Sliema although it is slightly pricier due to its location on the waterfront. However, you can get ftira at most restaurants and cafés in Malta, as well as food stalls. I certainly plan on trying ftira at more places around the island but Giorgio's was delicious!


Pastizzi

One of my favourite things about Malta is the numerous pastizzerias located throughout the island. One thing you can be sure of is that you're always within reach of a delicious, hot snack. Pastizzi consist of  a flaky pastry and can be made with various fillings such as peas, ricotta, and chicken. Most of the time, you can purchase a pastizz for just €0.50 and many pastizzerias are open late at night, which makes them a perfect snack after a night out in Paceville, an area known for its nightlife. So far, I've had my favourite pastizzi from the chain Sphinx that has locations all over Malta. However, I've heard repeatedly that the best pastizzi can be found in Rabat at Crystal Palace. Rabat is a beautiful small city located right outside of Mdina, the silent city. I will certainly be going back to Rabat to visit Crystal Palace as well as the other Maltese restaurants I spotted in the small city. 

Pastizzi Pizelli (curried peas)


Cisk

Cisk is the name of the Maltese lager beer which is enjoyed by locals and tourists alike year-round. The beer has kept the same recipe since it launched in 1929 and has quite a light taste in my opinion. Although the original lager is the best, I also enjoy the Cisk chill berry flavour which is sold in stores. Cisk is best enjoyed at the bar with friends, or ideally, on a patio with a view of the ocean.


Specialty Coffees

Although Malta isn't particularly known for its coffee, I have enjoyed the regularity and reverance with which the Maltese take their coffee breaks. I guess this is a European thing in general, but I can easily purchase a good quality cappuccino for €2 and enjoy it under the sun. I'm having fun trying new cafes in Valletta, Sliema and San Gwann. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's spending my money on coffee and a little pastry. Not only is this fun, but it's also relaxing and allows me to take time for myself to sit and read or write - a break from socializing in a new city. One of my favourite cafes is Emma's Kitchen because of its proximity to the University of Malta and because it makes me feel at home. 


Imqarat

This traditional Maltese sweet consists of dates, flour, sugar, eggs, and sunflower oil. You can find these being sold in stalls outside of St John's Co Cathedral, in sweet shops in Rabat, or simply at the grocery store. I love these because they are not overly sweet and the pastry is delicious - thin and fried to perfection.



Kinnie

Kinnie is a brown carbonated soft drink made that has been produced in Birkirkara since it was first introduced in 1952 by Simonds Farsons Cisk brewery. It is bittersweet in flavour and is brewed using oranges and a secret blend of herbs. I first tasted kinnie at a movie night put on for exchange students in the university's student lounge. Personally, I did not like the bittersweet taste of kinnie, but it is enjoyed by the locals and worth trying for its distinct taste. Kinnie can also be used to make a wide variety of cocktails and foods. I think I may need to get my hands on a kinnie spritz before I rule it out completely.


That's it for today but I will most likely make a second part to this post as there are still so many Maltese dishes to try. I have yet to even taste the seafood! 

- M



Comments

  1. Thanks for the primer, can't wait to try myself Maya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! Looking forward to trying all of it, but especially a Kinnie spritz 😘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts